Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Not an Easy Task

Today I had the dubious distinction, along with a few of my coworkers, of being chosen for the task of unstacking a bunch of blue anvils (those of you who have worked Microsoft shows know what I speak of) and individually opening them, checking for missing equipment, then latching them closed and restacking them (they're not light). Though the job was less than inspiring, I did get lucky enough to discover a little treat in one of the beastly cases--a wrapped, brand-new Rubik's Cube! Bringing it back to my desk I soon discovered a latent desire that has been buried under the hubris of my years of maturation, and I quickly googled "rubik's cube solutions" to begin becoming just that much more self-actualized as an individual. What I uncovered is that the solution to a Rubik's Cube is "simple," as described by an expert who, in the 1982 World Championships in Budapest, averaged 21.88 seconds in his ten best solution, his single best being 14.87 seconds.

It's taken me 45 minutes to get halfway through the first step of seven.

And videos like this one make me feel retarded.

3 Comments:

Blogger jennifer joy staab said...

at least you are still cool...

2:49 PM  
Blogger Timothy said...

But what indeed does COOL mean without sweet speedcubing skills?

6:29 PM  
Blogger justin said...

Don't worry, Timothy. You'll get there. But be warned: You will only get there after closing yourself off from society for a solid month and eating nothing but macaroni & peanut butter Captain Crunch. It's not so bad, but it's the price you pay...

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home