Sunday, October 02, 2005

Crows

On the way to church this morning I saw a black crow in the middle of the road, eating breakfast. As I approached at a good clip, this crow did what I have seen many, many others do. It casually hopped across the center line and waited for me to pass at 50 m.p.h. After I passed, it hopped back out and continued it's morning feeding.

And now my question to you: How many dead crows have you ever seen on the side of the road, hit by a car? Yes, I know you've seen possums, cats, dogs, squirrels, raccoons... but have you ever seen a dead crow? I'd love to hear if anybody has. Why haven't you? Because crows are really smart. How did they figure out that the yellow lines painted on the road means that the cars won't cross over and hit them?

BTW, guess what bird holds the record for the largest vocabulary? That's right, a crow, coming in at over 200 words.

These were my morning thoughts on the way in to church today.

3 Comments:

Blogger jennifer joy staab said...

Ravens are smarter.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have seen one dead crow on the side of the road in all my many years. one. have you ever seen a dead parakeet though? that would be so incredible. cnhij.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though crows are basically pests, they still retain at least a moderate coolness factor.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home