Monday, January 30, 2006

A Little Less Wise

So last Friday I had the pleasure of having all four of my wisdom teeth removed. The bottom two were horizontally impacted (which is bad) and the top two were slightly impacted. Basically, the dentist told me that I should have had this procedure done about ten years ago. Of course, ten years ago I didn't have any dental insurance. Which is why I've waited until now. In case anyone is wondering about timing, the earlier the better. I hurt.

I created a little photo-journalistic trek through my surgery and recovery. *WARNING* Not all of the pictures are pretty... nor am I pretty. In any of them, really.

This is Friday morning, pre-operation and normal face (non-chipmunk).
Daniel graciously agreed to give me a ride there, on his way to work. We stopped by for some MC worship (which I forgot to take a picture of). Upon entering the sanctuary we found Sam Mello in his birthday suit.

Then on to the doctors office, where I waited for a bit and made friends with a strange looking fish there. Wherever I put my face to look into the tank, he would swim right up to me and stare at me. His little mouth made an O, like he was constantly in a state of amazement.

It's time. They strapped me down to the chair (literally, so I wouldn't strike anyone while unconscious), put a hair cap on me, a cuff on my arm (that automatically measured my blood pressure every five minutes), some electrodes under my shirt to measure my heart rate (the monitor went boop-boop-boop with my pulse), and a little clamp on my finger. A tube clamped onto my nose blew oxygen into my lungs. And I waited. I tried to see how slowly I could make my heart beat by controlling my breathing. 55 bpm. Then the doctor came in all in a hurry ("Hey, sorry I'm late, how are you?"), tied off my arm with a rubber tube and stuck an IV in. I had discovered from the nurse that they were doing fourteen extractions that day. Fourteen! "I'm giving you something to help you relax," was how he phrased it, and I noticed my heart rate went booping a little faster. They engaged me in conversation about the scar on my arm, and I knew they were keeping me distracted, getting me to talk. "I put my arm through a window." "Why didn't you just open the window?" "Well, it was actually a french door, and I was trying to push it open." "I once ran into a glass sliding door and shattered it." "I did that too, but I bounced off. My heart is beating faster." And by that time I was feeling very relaxed, and a bit sleepy, so I stopped talking, and woke up, and it was done. My mouth had several sea-sponges crammed in it and my cheeks scraped against the wall. They helped me into a wheelchair, Miss Bonnie appeared there, and they wheeled me out to her car. I numbly realized it was my first time in her Mini. Here's a photo from shortly after I got to the Fretwells, where I spent my first day of recuperation.

A lovely look at an extraction site.

Here's day two of recuperation.


And my third day... my most painful day, and my ugliest to date.

Farewell, oh my little wisdom teeth!

12 Comments:

Blogger beautifulalexandria said...

Wow. I never thought getting your wisdom teeth out could be entertaining. I like how they use the word extraction... it makes it sound less savage, somehow.
I too am putting off my very own wisdom teeth "extraction" until I have dental insurance. You give me hope. (can you hear the facetiousness in my voice? probably not, as you've never heard my voice and have nothing to base your imagination on. rest assured that it is there, however.)

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel slightly queasy. But also fascinated and pleased that you shared with such attention and care for the little details, like the fish's mouth shape.

I can sympathise, well with 2 of your teeth anyway...

Hope the puffiness is reducing!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are some ugly wisdom teeth! Whew, I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well...i.e. there's no infection right? When I had mine taken out I had the local anesthetic (i think that is the one--the one where you are still awake when they pull them out) and I got to drive myself home afterward. I think the nurse was praying I would make it home alright.

9:35 AM  
Blogger imallforgod said...

Do everything you're told to recup... I had my wisdom teeth removed when I lived in Cali and I got dry socket which was terribly painful! I was knocked out to have mine removed too -- what an experience! It literally was that I was awake and talking one minute and then out and awake all of the sudden with no teeth! Well, no wisdom teeth that is. The fun part was eat ....

11:37 AM  
Blogger jennifer joy staab said...

at least you can still feel your tongue....

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, it's an autobiography of courage and hardship to rival the likes of that guy's that explored Antarctica, whatever his name is. Robert somebody. Looks painful!Especially the mangled tooth bits. Glad your worst is over.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Mr. Mando said...

Tim that was a great story, I wish I had remembered to keep my wisdom teeth. I was awake for my extractions. All four of mine were foreward impacted and I was awake for the whole thing, but my beautiful muther drove me home. I couldn't feel my mouth for the rest of that day, but I went to school the next day. with stitches in my mouth, because the doctor had to surgically remove them. I guess they were pretty big, because all of them were crushed into four pieces just so he could extract them. I think I lost more wisdom than you that day.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

That was the most entertaining blog I've read in a long time. Not to make you feel worse, but the same day I got 4 of mine pulled, I was eating a hamburger. I hope your recovery time goes quick..

12:11 PM  
Blogger justin said...

I think the fish is constantly in awe of how unaware these humans are of what is about to happen to them.

Since everybody else shared their story, here's mine. I had them drug me completely. I have no recollection of changing the clock in my mother-in-law's car on the ride home. I don't think I could do it while conscious. After taking the pain medicine they prescribed, I threw up for about ten hours straight. Then I felt fine.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Timothy said...

But all of that vomit must have gotten into your empty wisdom sockets.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Gross!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to photodocument the entire experience for us.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home