Saturday, November 04, 2006

Yes/No

Indecision is a decision, and a fatal one at that. Indecision is to decide "No." If I invite you to a party, or a feast even, and you stay in indecision, you will not come to the feast, because you have rejected my invitation. You ask, "What if, after a period of indecision, I decide that I will come?" Then at that point you have stopped deciding "No" and have changed your response to "Yes."

To claim a state of indecision seems like a nice, safe, neutral state to be, but it is not. There's no such state.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Just one flaw in your logic, bro.

You assume the default alternative -- that which will be "chosen" by inaction -- is always to the negative.

However, if I was at your house and was undecided if I wanted to stay for the feast, then the answer produced by indecision would be a "Yes".

9:09 PM  
Blogger justin said...

I'm not sure if I agree with that yet. I'll get back to you.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Ok.

I do agree with the spirit of Timothy's point... just needs a little modification. :)

9:04 AM  
Blogger jennifer joy staab said...

just say yes, tim.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home