Monday, October 16, 2006

Iraq

From today's news:

"Two near simultaneous car bombs killed 20 people and wounded 17 in a mixed neighborhood in northern Baghdad on Monday, an Interior Ministry source said, bringing the death toll from a four-day rampage of sectarian fighting to at least 111."

"Meanwhile, five soldiers and two Marines were killed in fighting Sunday, bringing to 14 the number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq over the past three days. A total of 58 U.S. troops have been killed in the first two weeks of October. "

"On Sunday, four car bombs exploded in apparently coordinated attacks in the restive northern oil city of Kirkuk, killing 10 people. "

"The Balad fighting exploded Friday with the discovery of the headless bodies of 17 Shiite workers discovered in an orchard near the city, 50 miles north of Baghdad."


I am just really, really tired of reading about all of this killing. The news is a constant death count, and I am frustrated because I don't understand it. I am not trying to make a political statement, or say we are wrong to be in Iraq. I am just saying that I wish these people would stop killing each other. I wish all of these car bombs would stop. All of it is so senseless.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, yeah, when stated like that, it does seem senseless. I'm not totally sure right now what the American troops should or shouldn't be doing in Iraq. But then...I don't keep as in touch with the news as I should either.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

That's a start. Now extrapolate a little, answer some "why" questions... until you have enough TO make a political statement.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Timothy said...

But making a political statement is not the goal of this post.

4:03 PM  
Blogger jennifer joy staab said...

you know that you can disagree with the president and still like him. just like i disagree with you sometimes and still like you

10:59 AM  
Blogger Timothy said...

Wow. I was really NOT trying to make a political statement with this post. That would be missing the point of what I'm trying to communicate.

trrmmh

1:49 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

You're trying to avoid thinking. Those deaths don't exist in a void.

"Geez, I wish people wouldn't die."

If that's as far as you're willing to take it, well, I've read the same sentiment in 3rd grade essays.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that thoughts about war and senseless killing must of necessity form a political statement. It's not really politics and presidents that create war; it's people, and ideologies that drive them, on both sides of the battle. I think it's more a statement about worldviews that's in order.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home