Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sushi

The first time that I ever tried sushi, it was with my friend Marisa and her boyfriend Pan. Yeah, like Peter. Except he was Japanese, and I'm not sure the nationality of Peter Pan... Neverlandian, I suppose. Anyhow, they suckered me into putting a dollop of that lovely green wasabi onto my first bite. "Oh no, that's not enough, put a little more on there--for the full flavor." Needless to say, it was a very fiery experience. Because of this initial run-in with sushi, I did not try it for the following decade of my life. Until I came to San Francisco a couple of months ago. I decided I would give it another run. I had some nigiri, a sushi roll, and teriyaki beef. The nigiri was ok (lots of raw fish), the sushi roll was nice, and the teriyaki was absolutely horrid. Being somewhat nonplussed by the experience, I mentioned to my coworker Josh Weltman that I didn't think I'd be in the mood for sushi again in quite awhile. "Oh, you'll be surprised. You'll get sushi cravings." And the strange thing is, he was right. Some evenings as I return late in the day, I speed over to QFC where they have a sushi bar with daily creations, and I pick up some crab rolls and a Saporo beer. Tonight I once again ate some sushi in the lovely city of San Francisco.

Everything about sushi is healthy. You eat it just knowing that life and vigor is being added to your body. No deep fried breading, no oils, no sugar, no salt (well, except for the soy sauce)... just basic, fundamental nutrition. Even the green ice cream had an odd healthy flavor, which I ate along with my dessert, pumpkin pudding.

Have you had any sushi lately?

4 Comments:

Blogger jennifer joy staab said...

i like edamame. hate the rest. ljnzbdb.

How would you like the last name of Lifshitz? Ask Ralph Lauren.

12:24 PM  
Blogger justin said...

You've kicked in my craving! I definitely enjoy good ol' california rolls. Sushi I can handle every once in a while.

Edamame rocks.

LIfshitz? No thanks.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, I told you those cravings would come :) Be sure to try some spicy tuna rolls sometime - they rock.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bumb

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home