Friday, May 18, 2007

Brain Camera

So I was walking along outside today on my way to lunch and I was thinking about yesterday when I was walking back from the cafeteria, how I saw a small brown bunny chasing a crow in the grass, and how I wished that I would have had my camera at that moment to capture the little escapade, but carrying my camera around with me all the time would be a bother, even though it is pretty small and sleek and stylish... and I thought how nice it would be to have a very small but high-quality camera that I could have hanging from my keychain to capture such moments, and how technology will bring us to that place, surely... but then I took it a step further and thought about one day having a device that could capture exactly what my eyes are capturing, like tapping into my optic nerves and recording everything I'm visually seeing realtime, but I surmised that we're probably a long way out from that right now, since if we even play around with an optic nerve at all, it dies.

And THAT, my friends, was my thought... and also all one sentence. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, I like that you wrote that all in one sentence...I like run-on sentences...they seem closer to reality...I feel like they express better the way we really think.

But about the brain camera - isn't that kind of what our brains already do? Really they are more like a super duper iPhone, or something. They store and organize all sorts of data in all sorts of forms - audio, visual, numerical...it all gets recorded and stuck somewhere in that mass of gray matter. Have you ever smelled a certain smell and all of a sudden all of these memories in pictures are flashing before your mind's eye? It's almost like you are there in that time and place for just a second.

I guess what we really need is some sort of device we can hook up to our brains that allows us to voluntarily scroll through our memories and pull up whatever particular episode (such as the bunny-chasing crow one) we would like to remember.

God is pretty amazing to have created brains, I just have to say.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

I hear they've discovered that it's theoretically possible to put cameras in cell phones.

In a few years these "camphones" will hit the market and could well provide the quick access to photo-taking you desire.

Of course, you would have to pretty much carry your mobile phone around with you wherever you go, and I just don't see enough people willing to do that to make the combination viable from a profitibility standpoint.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and yet, something about the above comment suggests stephen is being a bit disingenuous. maybe because it seems like lots of people already enjoy the constant presence of their mobile phones and take self or even car shots regularly. but how do you feel about the blue chip trend?

12:48 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

They said 2007 would be the year for BCs (just like they said about 2006... oops) but yet small-cap stocks beat out BC first quarter '07. Yet, most still seem bullish on BCs, for reasons too complicated for me to understand.

Now, what does this have to do with cellphones and pictures? :)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home